There is a great debate among turkey hunters as to which wild game recipe is number one on the list of best turkey recipes. You’re either team deep fried or team turkey popper. I decided it was time for both these groups to finally come together, and this recipe is my solution to end the war of the meal. So the next time you’re at turkey camp and the battle for dinner begins, pull out this recipe and enjoy a great supper as your relive the day’s hunt.
1 pound turkey breast, sliced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 pound bacon, cut in 1/2
7 jalapeno peppers, cut into 1 inch cubes, deseeded
8 oz cream cheese, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
12 oz can of beer or club soda
2 cups flour
1 Tsp garlic powder
2 Tsp smoked paprika
1 Tsp cracked pepper
Beer Cheese Sauce:
1/2 cup flour
12 oz beer
1/2 cup water
1 stick butter
1 jalapeno, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tsp cracked pepper
1 Tsp smoked paprika
2 cups cheddar cheese
8 oz cream cheese
1. Take 1 piece of jalapeño and place 1 piece of cream cheese and 1 turkey nugget. Wrap in bacon and place on Traeger or grill set to high heat.
2. Cook until bacon is crispy, flipping when needed, remove from heat and set aside.
1. While poppers are cooking start your cheese sauce
2. In skillet melt 1 Tbs butter over med-high heat, add garlic, onion and jalapeños cooking until soft; around 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove veggies from skillet, add remaining butter, once melted, add flour
4. Cook flour and butter creating a roux stirring often so as not to burn, once flour has browned and has a nutty smell, add beer and water
5. Constantly stirring bring beer and water to a boil, reduce heat and stir until mixture begins to thicken. (If too thick add 1/4 cup more water)
6. Remove from heat and add cream cheese, stir until blended, add cheddar cheese, paprika, pepper and veggies you cooked earlier and mix until blended well.
1. Bring oil 2 inches deep to 375 degrees in large dutch oven or skillet.
2. Dip each popper in batter and place directly into hot oil.
3. Once poppers begin to float and batter turns golden and crispy, remove from oil and drain
4. Plate poppers along with cheese sauce and enjoy!