Recipe submitted to "Cooking Across Turkey Country" by: Corey Slater, Mars, Pa.
- turkey, quartered with or without breast meat
- 3 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
- 1 carrot per 4 pounds of meat, chopped
- 2 onions
- a handful thyme (or to taste)
- a handful whole pepper seeds (or to taste)
- 1 potato per 4 pounds of meat
- cornstarch or other thickening agent
- ready-to-bake dinner rolls
Place turkey in a deep pot, along with carrots, whole onions and celery. Add thyme and black pepper seeds. Pack everything to bottom of pot, then fill it with water about 1 inch above top of turkey. Cook at just below boil until water is 1 inch below the top of bird. Once cooked, let turkey cool completely, then hand pick meat off bones and cut into bite-size chunks. Throw away celery, onion and carrots. Chop potatoes and fresh carrots and celery into bite-size pieces. Boil vegetables until softened to your liking, then add meat. Cook another 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add thickening agent to reach desired thickness. Bake rolls and place on top.