With cold weather hitting most states, let’s look at a recipe you can set and forget as you go out and play in the snow or open presents around the tree. Braised shanks have become one of those go-to dishes that takes little effort to create, but is packed full with incredible flavors.
- Venison shanks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 white onion, minced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1-2 cups venison or beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dredge the shanks in the flour
- In a heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven, add butter and melt.
- Add shanks to the butter and brown the outside, remove
- Add onions and cook until tender, add carrots, celery and garlic, add until garlic is fragrant
- Add wine and deglaze the pan, stir in broth and tomatoes
- Return the shanks, making sure they are submerged in the cooking liquid.
- Place the lid on and cook low until shanks are fork tender. Oven 4-5 hours at 300º or stove top over med-low for 4-5 hours
- Remove and serve alongside your favorite mashed potato recipe.