We all love the snap of a jerky stick while sitting in the blind, driving in the truck or watching a ball game, but we hate looking at the labels and not knowing how to pronounce half the ingredients. Here is a simple Honey BBQ recipe that will turn your wild turkey, or any other game meat, into a delicious and quick snack stick.
2 pounds wild turkey (More if you have it, I use thighs and legs)
3 Tbsp Granulated honey
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp Garlic powder
1 tsp cracked pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp molasses
1/2 tbsp of liquid smoke if not using smoker to dry.
1 tbsp quick cure
- Start out by grinding your turkey meat through the largest grind plate you have. I use a #32.
- Mix in all ingredients. Once fully mixed, place in ziploc bag and put in the fridge for 12-24 hours. This will allow all the flavors to meld and the meat firm up with the sugars and honey.
- Preheat smoker or oven to 150-160.
- Using a jerky gun, or pipping bag (like you would use for cake decorating), make even lines on your grill grate.
- Probe one stick for this will be your temp guide.
- Smoke on low until it reaches 145 degrees. This should take 2-3 hours. Drop temp and smoke until meat reaches 155. Pull and let rest 10 minutes.
- Place in clean ziplock and put in fridge. This is a key step as it stops the cooking process.
- After 1 hour in fridge, eat and enjoy.
Sticks will last 4-5 days out of fridge, 3 weeks in fridge and 6-8 months freezer.