No different than roosting a gobbler and striking him on a deadly line the next morning, eyeing up a stream and identifying a killer trout spot is incredibly rewarding—that is, when the plan comes together and it’s time to fire up a wild meal from the tasty fruits of our labor.
In most parts of the country, spring turkey hunting is matched perfectly with the heart of an eager angler. No matter your favorite finned pursuit, it’s easy to pack a rod and reel and get bent on a local lake or stream. For me, my fishing passion lies almost entirely in trout. I love going after trout because it’s more like hunting than fishing, and at my core—first and foremost—I'm a hunter.
Trout are also excellent in their simplicity and flavor. Cleaning and cooking trout requires little effort. It’s one of few fish that can be cleaned with your bare hands if you’re in a pinch.
While this recipe is a great match for browns, rainbows or brookies, it’s appropriate to suit any fish if you’re not adventuring in a region that supports trout.
(Wild turkey can be substituted if slow cooked and pulled or fried/grilled then cubed)
- 4 pounds trout (one fish or several)
- 2 heads minced garlic
- 1 stick butter
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Ground juniper
- 1 bunch fresh minced cilantro
- 1 diced mango
- 1 large diced tomato
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- Remove head(s) and innards from trout. Smother inside and outside of body with soft butter and minced garlic. Season entire trout lightly with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Cook trout, uncovered, in a 400-degree oven until done. Remove from oven and set aside in fridge to cool overnight.
- Pull out trout from fridge and de-bone. Set aside meat in a large bowl. Pick through meat for any remaining bones.
- Combine meat with approx. 1 tbsp. Kosher salt, 1 tbsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. juniper, cilantro, mango, tomato, and lemon juice. Add mayonnaise until you reach desired thickness. Mix thoroughly. Cover and let cool in fridge for 1 hour.
- Serve inside sandwiches, as dip, or on top of a grilled wild turkey breast.