- 1-2 pounds turkey shredded, cooked
- 2 cups turkey stock or chicken stock (homemade or store bought; I love using the bones to create my own stocks.)
- 8 ounces New Mexico chiles diced (or canned green chiles)
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups cheddar shredded
- 24 corn tortillas
Preheat oven to 375 F and butter a 9-by-12-inch baking dish. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic, cilantro, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; sauté another 1-2 minutes. Next, add stock, sour cream and cream of chicken; stir well to mix all ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Pour 1 cup of sauce mixture on bottom of baking dish, followed by 6 corn tortillas. On top of the tortillas, add ½ cup turkey, ½ cup cheese and ½ cup of sauce; repeat two more times with tortillas, turkey, sauce and cheese. Pour remaining sauce over dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
This dish freezes well for future use. If frozen, add 1 hour of bake time covered, then 30-45 minutes uncovered.