Our 2020 Wild Game Recipe Contest saw a myriad of submissions of both classic and innovative delectable wild game dishes. Tom Atkeson’s recipe is all of the above – classic, innovative and delectable. Spice things up this spring with Tom’s spicy wild turkey enchiladas.
- 1 wild turkey breast
- 1 habanero pepper minced
- ½ tbsp Mexican oregano
- ½ tbsp cilantro
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 can diced green fire roasted chilis
- 1 packet of your favorite taco seasoning
- Corn tortillas
- 4-cheese Mexican blend
- Queso fresco
- Enchilada sauce
- In a Crock-Pot or other slow cooker, combine oregano, cilantro, chicken stock, water, habanero, garlic and onion. Cook on high setting until fragrant. Add wild turkey breast and set temperature to low. Cook for 5-6 hours or until tender and cooked through.
- Remove turkey to a cutting board. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Drain the contents out of the slow cooker and set aside for later. Shred turkey to desired texture and return to slow cooker. Add about ½-cup stock and packet of taco seasoning and stir until combined.
- Roll turkey into tortillas in a glass baking pan. Smother in enchilada sauce and four-cheese Mexican blend. Crumble queso fresco over the top. Place in oven for 15 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. Let cool and serve with favorite side dishes – we used rice and jalapeno cornbread with local honey butter.