This recipe came to me because a friend gave me a huge bag of tomatillos and I was sick of just making salsa verde. I started experimenting with some flavors and came up with a different take on Tortilla soup. My daughters wanted Turkey Noodle soup, so once I made this dish I added pasta and told them it was a new version of the classic turkey noodle. They ate two bowls each and it soon become their new favorite!
- 7 fresh tomatillos (boiled & roasted)
- 1 jalapeno seeded
- 1 pasilla pepper seeded
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 pounds cooked turkey meat
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cans green chilies
- 2 cups cooked egg noodles
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups turkey or chicken broth
- ½ cups cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked pepper
- De-husk and boil tomatillos and peppers for 5 -8 minutes until soft, next place under broiler or on heated grill to roast.
- Combine Tomatillos and peppers into food processor or blender until smooth texture. (add 2 tablespoons of olive oil if needed)
- In large stock pot or Dutch Oven, add onion and sauté with 1 teaspoon olive oil until translucent, around three minutes.
- Add garlic and ¼ cup cilantro cooking additional 1-2 minutes.
- Then add turkey, green chilies, coriander, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and remaining cilantro and cooked pasta.