Whether baked or fried, there is no denying empanadas, or meat pies, are a simple and tasty way to whip up a hearty meal using ground wild game. Prepare these tasty treats for your next gathering and let the fiesta begin.
1 pound ground wild turkey
1 tbs taco seasoning*
1/4 cup water
1/2 brown onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tbs Worcestershire
1 jalapeno, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 rolls ready to bake pie crusts
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425
- In skillet add 1 tbs olive oil and heat on high/med. add onions and jalapeños, sauté 2 minutes until soft, add garlic and cook additional 45-60 seconds
- Add wild turkey meat, salt, pepper, Worcestershire and cook until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add cilantro, followed by taco seasoning and water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and cook 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Taking your premed pie crusts, roll out and cut circles. The easiest way to do this is place a bowl face down and cut along the rim.
- Scoop one large spoon full of meat to the center of your cut our pie crust
- Fold circle in half and using a fork, press down the edges, brush egg wash over each Empanadas and place on baking sheet.
- Cook 18-20 minutes or until golden brown, remove and enjoy.
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked pepper
(If you need or want a little more kick add ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper)
- Mix all ingredients and store in airtight container
- Use 2 tablespoons of seasoning per 1 pound of meat
- Brown meat sprinkle, seasoning over meat add 1/3 cup of water
- Mix into meat and simmer for 5 minutes or until most of the water is cooked off
— Jeremiah Doughty